Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lenten Sacrifice

I'm not Catholic. I'm not even particularly religious. But I am constantly hopeful.

I wish on stars,
dandelions,
11:11 clocks.
I pray.
I believe in Karma.
I just constructed a dream catcher, for crying out loud.

Constantly hopeful.

For 40 days, I'll be giving up my stalking tendencies. It takes 21 days to change a behavior, right? So this could end up being a permanent change.

Let me explain my definition of stalking before you get all worried. I'm one of those people with second accounts on Facebook and Twitter, stalker accounts if you will. Don't be shocked. They aren't rare. My accounts were first set up during a period of time when I felt the need to keep watch over someone. It was that whole "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" idea. Then I got sucked in. It became more about watching a soap opera unfold than protection. It became a sort of twisted addiction. Before I knew it, it had become a complete time suck. Years had passed, and I had hours before me that couldn't be accounted for in any productive way.

Over the weekend I had an epiphany of sorts: It's over. It's time to move on. I'm not closing my second accounts, but I am vowing not to use them for the next 40 days. I am giving up my spying addiction. I am trusting that there is no longer a need to be a fly on the wall in this person's life. And trust, in this situation, is a huge step for me in the right direction.

Am I healed?

I am constantly hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment